Winter is here again, the cold is upon us and it’s time to start cozying up the house. Here are some simple yet really great winter decorating ideas for getting your home into winter décor mode.
1. Whip out all the extra blankets and throws and spread them around the house. Drape them over couches, keep a folded pile out in plain view in the lounge, add a couple to the end of the bed. This season is all about mixing and matching fabrics and textures, so go fluffy, try flannel, look for chenille, silk, nautical stripes, chunky wools!
2. Dig out all of your extra pillows and cushions to make your rooms feel warmer and more cosy. If you don’t have many, go buy some, and make sure, again, that you mix and match! Play with different shapes and patterns, sizes and fabrics. Think velvet, satin, suede, sequins, embroidered patterns and funky prints.
3. Break out the rugs! Whether you get a couple small rugs or a big snuggly carpet, rugs make cold, tiled or chilly wooden floors feel much more inviting in winter. Put a big one in front of the fireplace for lying on, if you have one!
4. This season, add natural décor elements to your home for a more cosy or earthy feel. Pebbles, wood, pinecones, dried heard and flowers will all add to the more natural feel of your winter home.
5. If you have a fireplace, create a sitting space infront of or near it. Place a coffee table, big cushions for sitting on, or chairs, rugs, extra throws, what ever you have to create an inviting sitting areas!
6. Fire places are wonderful for creating warmth and ambience, but even if you don’t have one you can still get the desired effect. Invest in candles. Lots and lots of candles! Placed strategically around the room or home, candles provide a soft light that can really make a space feel warm, intimate and cosy. I great idea is to use e a bowl of water with floating candles in it as a centre piece on your coffee or dining room table.
7. Invest in an oil burner and burn some of your favourite warming scents. Cinnamon and Vanilla are winter favourites!
8. Swap out your brightly coloured and vibrant summer prints and paintings for black and white photos on the walls. This will alter the mood of your home considerably!